Thursday, January 17, 2008

Story Time

Things have been interesting this week, as I've become more focused on having the kids read rather than work in their textbooks/workbooks. As I mentioned before, Yosuke was reading Esio Trot, although we still haven't been able to finish it. He had a lot of homework this week that took up our free time. Now that his English class has started a new book (A Raisin in the Sun), it appears that, unfortunately, we won't be able to finish it anytime soon. I'll set it aside for later.

Yuki has an English workbook that we've been using. It was recommended by the tutor she had before me, and it's quite good. However, to break up the monotony, today when I met with her I had her read some passages from a nonfiction book about Martin Luther King Jr Day. It was a book for young children, so the print was big and the sentences were easy to understand. I think she was able to follow it alright. I would have her read a passage, and we would stop and talk about each one, and I would ask questions to see if she understood.

I'm also trying to get Miki to grapple with her first short-story (it's actually one in her English textbook, not one I picked out). I hope she'll try hard, because I know it'll be rewarding for her.

No comments: