Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Freedom, Part 2

My older sister just finished writing a thesis about how students respond to freedom in the classroom. You might think that students would work harder if they get to choose what to focus on, but her findings were actually the opposite - students worked harder and better when the teacher made the choices for them. For example, students performed better when a topic for a project or presentation was assigned to them rather than allowing them to choose themselves.

Essentially - giving students structure enhances learning.

I don't think this completely contradicts my previous post, however. I'd like to believe that while structure is beneficial in the classroom, it's okay for one-on-one tutoring to take a different form. I'd like to believe that between the rigid structure of the classroom and my more fluid tutoring sessions, my students are getting a well-rounded education.

No comments: