Monday, January 14, 2008

Pictures

I was disappointed that Yosuke and I didn't get to read any more in Esio Trot today. He had a lot of homework, so we spent the whole two hours just doing that.

One thing about Esio Trot that I both love and hate is the illustrations. The short story has illustrations on each page that clearly show what is happening. That's great for ESL students; seeing what they just read in picture form reinforces the meaning. But I also worry that, well, maybe they are too many pictures. You can practically tell the story from just looking at the illustrations, so I worry that Yosuke might not be learning as much as he could. Hopefully he's not relying on just the pictures.

In any case, it's fun to read something as quirky as Esio Trot. Tomorrow I'll stop by the public library again and see what else I can come up with.

No comments: