Monday, January 21, 2008

Happy MLK Jr Day!

I had a great time tutoring tonight. As I mentioned before, Yosuke is currently reading A Raisin in the Sun for his English class. I imagine most people also read this in high school. In case you don't remember, it's a play about a poor, black family in the late 1950s who attempt to improve their lives by purchasing a house. The house is in a white neighborhood. I had completely forgotten about it, and I was happy to have an excuse to take some time out and read it. I remembered not especially liking the play when I read it in 9th grade, but I loved it this time. The play ends right before the family moves into the new house, and I think that may have frustrated me. It's like you're missing all the action and the conflict that comes when they are the only black family in a white neighborhood right at the brink of the Civil Rights Movement. But now I think I can fully appreciate what the story means.

Yosuke was doing a great job understanding the parts we read, or at least my explanations, and he was asking good questions (which always makes me very happy!). I didn't even mind getting sidetracked for about 20 minutes so I could go over the history of African Americans, from slavery to the present, so that he could put the play into context. I think he got a lot out of it, and I was pleased how relevant it was to the holiday.

No comments: