Monday, December 10, 2007

Progress Report - Good and Bad News

Yosuke showed me his most recent progress report today. To my surprise, his grade in English I managed to rise from a C to an A in just two months. It was more than I could have hoped for. He started out the semester with a low D on his first progress report, which grudgingly rose to a C on the next one. I was expecting a C+ or, if we were lucky, a B-. An A is just incredible.

Strangely, his grade in ESL II dropped from an A to a C. ESL II is an easy class - it's definitely below his English level, and there isn't much work - so I expressed concerned and asked him why the grade was so low. Yosuke told me that he never did any work in the class, but it was okay because other students in the class got D's and F's. Not accepting that as a valid excuse, I told him that since the class was easy, he should try for an A - it would give him straight A's! He reiterated that he didn't really care.

I wonder how I can make him care about his GPA. I suppose if I wanted to pursue the matter, I could enlist his parents in helping me motivate him, perhaps by asking them to offer him rewards for getting A's. Or maybe he's right and it doesn't matter, and I should just drop it.

I'm not sure what I should do.

1 comment:

ace said...

I was like that in school. I can't think of anything that would have changed it, and my parents certainly tried.