Wednesday, December 26, 2007

New Beginnings!

I hope everyone had a pleasant Christmas. I certainly enjoyed my holiday break, and I'm looking forward to beginning tutoring again tomorrow.

Over Christmas break, I had the opportunity to have lunch with the Japanese professor who arranged my tutoring jobs. I was able to thank her for all she's done for me, and we discussed the work I've been doing. I was happy to hear that she is also concerned with the dismal ESL programs at the schools in our area and is actively fighting to get them improved. I told her that I had also been upset about it, but I didn't know what to do, so I asked her to let me know if I can help in any way. I hope she includes me in her efforts, because improving the system would mean a lot to me.

She also mentioned the possibility of another tutoring job. A Japanese family who lives in the same neighborhood as Yosuke and Yuki are looking for an English tutor for their daughter. The daughter is only in second grade, however. I told the teacher that I was interested, but that I don't have any experience teaching young children. If she doesn't find anyone else, I'll get the job. I'm both excited and nervous by the prospect - I'd love to get some experience teaching a child that young, but I just don't think I'm ready yet.

1 comment:

David said...

I enjoyed your blog, especially reading about the ESL industry in Japan.

If things don't work out with your current position, there are lots of other English teaching jobs in Japan listed at ESL Jobs World.