Monday, December 17, 2007

Acquiring a Tutoring Job

I was lucky when I got this tutoring job. I wasn't even looking for one. During my last semester of college, one of my Japanese teachers asked me if I would be interested in doing some tutoring part-time. Apparently, this teacher is quite active in the Japanese community (which is almost nonexistent here), and she often hooks up new families with tutors. I told her I was interested, and a few months later, I got an email with some contact information.

After tutoring Yosuke and Yuki for about four months, I heard of Miki's situation. Miki's English level was so low that her mother was looking for a tutor who spoke Japanese well. Yosuke's mother asked me if I knew anyone, and I told her I didn't, as all of my Japanese-speaking friends are doing the JET Program this year. My Japanese teacher also asked a student, who declined the job. Finally, I was asked, even though I insisted my Japanese wouldn't be good enough to help this student. I contacted Miki's mother via email and offered to help Miki temporarily until a better student was found. Three months later, here I am still tutoring Miki. It seems to have become permanent.

I enjoy the work and I adore Miki, but I still feel like she needs a tutor with more experience. At least I'm getting better (I think)!

PS- Yosuke is probably taking his English midterm right about now. Ganbatte, Yosuke!!

No comments: