Saturday, December 15, 2007

More About Food

Yesterday I mentioned the food and drinks that Miki's mother serves me, but Yosuke and Yuki's mother's food is always a treat.

I'm at her house for two hours per session. As soon as I get there and sit down at the desk with Yosuke or Yuki, she brings me a glass of water. Then, after an hour exactly, she brings a beverage and a snack. If I've drunk all the water, she'll take my glass and refill it as well.

The beverage is usually coffee or hot tea, but I've also gotten juice or soda in the past. The snack is usually quite substantial. I'd say the usual is packaged sweets, such as cookies or little cakes. These are always Japanese, by the way. I'm not sure where she got this stash of individually packaged Japanese sweets (did she bring them with her?), but she never seems to run out. Occasionally, I will get fancy little cakes that came from a nearby bakery and are obviously a bit pricey. Sometimes I will get rice crackers and, even more rarely, something she made herself. Unless it's one of the fancy little cakes, she'll never give me just one thing. It's always two, three, sometimes four things on a little plate.

I think the reason she rarely gives me homemade stuff is because she says she is bad at cooking. I much prefer her homemade stuff over storebought, though. I'd tell her that, but I don't know if she'd believe me. In any case, Yosuke and Yuki's mother is such a nice person and I adore working for her. And not just for the food, but of course the food certainly is nice!

No comments: