Thursday, May 1, 2008

I've Let Yosuke Down

As I mentioned earlier, when I left Yosuke Tuesday night, he still had a limerick and a sonnet to write. I taught him the rules and wished him luck. As I was driving off, it occurred to me that since we had worked so hard on the other poems, it might be okay to "fake" the sonnet. Would the teacher really count the syllables of each line? Of course not! She might not even read them at all! I felt guilty for not thinking of it earlier.

I felt even worse yesterday when I asked him how hard it had been. He said he stayed up until 2:30am! His ESL teacher is also to blame for giving such a ridiculous assignment, but I can't stop feeling guilty for not realizing sooner that he didn't have to try so hard. Hopefully next time we're in a situation like this, I won't let him down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He'll look back on that experience fondly someday. I'm sure got over over the lost sleep pretty quickly.