Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Basketball Camp

Yuki's ESL teacher recommended against her taking Geometry over the summer, stating that her English level was just too low. I agree that her English is lacking, but I feel like she can manage math, especially since she'll have me helping her. I feel a bit guilty about it, but I told her mother that my opinion is that Yuki can take Geometry regardless. I don't know if Mrs. Kikugawa will decide to register Yuki despite the ESL teacher's concerns, but if she does, I hope I don't end up regretting my advice!

If she doesn't take Geometry, I suggested a basketball camp instead as a way to keep up the English practice over the summer, and Mrs. Kikugawa was enthusiastic about the idea because Yuki had already expressed interested in basketball camp. She missed the registration deadline for the camp offered through her middle school, but I assured Mrs. Kikugawa that there were other options, and I said I would do a bit of research on it.

I tried the YMCA first, but there were no summer basketball happenings. I got a bit worried that there might be nothing, but silly me - I live in Chapel Hill, for Pete's sake. A second, more general, Google search resulted in four possible camps. I'll print them off and talk to Mrs. Kikugawa and Yuki about them tomorrow.

I'm probably more interested than any other person would be because I remember enjoying basketball camp myself (in elementary or middle school?). I hope Yuki can also have some enjoyable experiences and, of course, get some excellent English practice.

2 comments:

Mina's_dad said...

That sounds like great advice! Your experience proves you don't need much athletic talent to enjoy b'ball camp.

Mina said...

Thanks! I like how your comment is both a compliment and a veiled insult. ;)