Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Please, Just Follow the Directions and Write

New approach to getting Yosuke to write: I'll do the assignment myself to show him what the writing should look like, and he can use my example as a model to follow. (Up until now, I've only been doing outlines for him and have helped him brainstorm ideas. I guess he needs even more help, even though these assignments are so easy.)

I'm at my wit's end trying to get him to follow the directions - he just refuses to write the correct thing, causing him to rewrite these very simple assignments over and over - so I'm hoping this solution works.

It took me about ten minutes to write something he's spent hours on and still hasn't produced anything anywhere near acceptable. I know he's ESL, but I could have written the same thing in Japanese in thirty minutes. And that includes the time I spent revising.

So, has Japan produced a country of literate citizens who are unable to write?

Sorry for the harsh tone. I had a horrible day, and I haven't recovered yet.

1 comment:

Mina's_dad said...

My sympathies. I deal with the same thing teaching new hires concepts that seem obvious and self-explanatory to me. Always seems to take longer than it should. I'm sure something will click in Yosuke's head at some point.