Friday, June 6, 2008

EOC Requirements?

Well, the EOCs were rather anticlimactic. Yosuke's Geometry teacher told him he would be excused from the exam because he has been in the country less than two years. He asked his English teacher about this, and she told him the same thing. He'll receive credit for both courses, so that's great.

That's assuming his teachers are right, and I have some doubts. I can't find any information about it now, but I was under the impression that only students who have been here for less than a year were exempt from standardized tests. (That was Miki's case, thankfully.) This information contradicts our previous experience. When Yosuke tried to take English I last summer, he passed the course but failed the EOC, so he didn't receive credit. Also, earlier in the school year I spoke to his current English teacher and asked her for help preparing Yosuke for the exam, and she gave me a practice test. If he was exempt, wouldn't she mention it to me? But so long as he receives credit for the classes, I guess it doesn't matter, at least for now.

What worries me, however, is that the English I EOC is required for graduation. I'm afraid he might have to take it later on, although I suppose he would have a better shot at it in a year or two than he would now. I emailed his counselor to ask about it. I'm hoping she'll reply. It's always frustrating when people ignore your emails.

No comments: